Ports to Include with MacPorts Installer Image

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jan 15 22:59:07 PST 2010

On Jan 15, 2010, at 13:36, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

> Have we considered bundling any packages with the MacPorts disk images that most packages use?

No, I don't think we've considered that. What would be the benefit? Ports aren't hard to compile the usual way...

> Does anyone run any statistics on what are the most depended packages?

The port command doesn't collect statistics, and since we don't get distfiles from a central location, we don't have download statistics for those. We could add up the download statistics from each distfiles mirror (if we had logs available) to get part of the picture. But if the goal of getting that picture is to bundle pre-built packages with base, then I don't think we should be doing that. I'd rather we look into providing binaries of any package.