+universal help

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Wed Jan 27 12:12:11 PST 2010

Hello, I am working on adding +universal to memtester, which is a "configure no" style portfile.

Not using MacPorts, I just figured out how to get this to built out universal.  There are two files in the source
    conf-cc
    conf-ld

If I edit them to this:

    head -n1 conf-cc
    /usr/bin/gcc -O2 -DPOSIX -c -arch x86_64 -arch i386

    head -n1 conf-ld
    /usr/bin/cc -s -arch x86_64 -arch i386

Previous pre-edit of the files were lacking the full path, and of course, lacking the string "-arch x86_64 -arch i386"

Do I need to add ppc and the rest of the -arch's?  What is the full list I should be adding?

Just adding those will not get +universal to show up in `port info`, can someone guide me with that part?

What is the best way to reinplace the data I need to?

Here is what I get after running `make`:
    $file memtester
    memtester: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
    memtester (for architecture x86_64):	Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64
    memtester (for architecture i386):	Mach-O executable i386

My guess would be to add:
platform darwin 10 {
    # Reinplace foo to alter the above two files
}

* If I do add -arch ppc and -arch ppc64, I get a bunch of errors, the main one being:
    ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture ppc64
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    lipo: can't open input file: /var/tmp//ccpg8LXX.out (No such file or directory)
    make: *** [memtester] Error 1

I just tried to built the current port on a PPC machine, and I get:
    $sudo port install memtester
    Password:
    Warning: Can't open index file for source: file:///Users/me/macports
    Error: Port memtester not found

Thanks