python_select dependents

Emmanuel Hainry milosh at macports.org
Mon Jul 5 02:46:03 PDT 2010

Citando Rainer Müller :

> Hi,
>
> the following ports declare a dependency on python_select:
>
> $ port echo dependentof:python_select
> glib2
> rubber
> swig-python
>
> No port should ever declare a dependency on python_select, as this does
> *not* pull in any python

That was exactly my goal. Yes I know that we should only use macports'
provided python, but I don't want to make users install python24 only
because that's my favorite python interpreter.

> and therefore you cannot be sure that it works.

Which means? When you install python_select and no python, the symlink
goes to the system's python.

> Also the symlink ${prefix}/bin/python is intended for the user only, and
> not to be used by ports.

I agree. But this is a simple way to have rubber install and use
whatever python is installed. Rubber does not install anything in the
python prefix. It only relies on a python interpreter for installing and
for running.

> Please change this dependency to one of the pythonXY ports and use
> configure flags or add a patch to use ${prefix}/bin/pythonX.Y instead.

The only sensible dependency scheme would be bin:python:python24. How
can I do that?

Emmanuel