python_select dependents

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Mon Jul 5 06:41:34 PDT 2010

On 2010-7-5 19:46 , Emmanuel Hainry wrote:
> Citando Rainer Müller :
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> the following ports declare a dependency on python_select:
>>
>> $ port echo dependentof:python_select
>> glib2
>> rubber
>> swig-python
>>
>> No port should ever declare a dependency on python_select, as this does
>> *not* pull in any python
>
> That was exactly my goal. Yes I know that we should only use macports'
> provided python, but I don't want to make users install python24 only
> because that's my favorite python interpreter.
>
>> and therefore you cannot be sure that it works.
>
> Which means? When you install python_select and no python, the symlink
> goes to the system's python.

Leaving aside for a moment the policy of satisfying dependencies using
ports that Rainer mentioned: If you're going to use the system python,
just do that. There's no reason to have a dependency on python_select in
that case, and at least you'll be using the same python all the time
instead of whatever the user happens to have selected.

- Josh