[MacPorts] #25507: kdelibs4 4.4.x fails to compile/link: undefined symbols "_png_set_longjmp_fn"

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sat Jul 10 05:12:59 PDT 2010

On 2010-07-10 00:38 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> I once suggested it would be a good idea to replace the
> "use_parallel_build" yes/no switch with a more fine-grained switch
> (say "parallel_jobs") where you could specify the maximum number of
> parallel jobs. "parallel_jobs 1" would then be the equivalent of
> today's "use_parallel_build no", "parallel_jobs 0" could be the
> equivalent of today's "use_parallel_build yes" (mirrors the way
> "buildmakejobs" works in macports.conf today), and for example
> "parallel_jobs 2" could be used for ports that support 2 parallel
> jobs but not more. But for now we don't have this, so software must
> either support any arbitrary number of parallel jobs, or not be run
> in parallel at all.

I would prefer the build.* namespace as that is the only phase affected.

We could use build.jobs in the Portfile to specify a *maximum* number of
parallel jobs (the minimum of build.jobs and buildmakejobs will be used,
build.jobs == 0 means unlimited). And then we could also add a
"build.parallel yes/no" to be able to disable parallel building at all.

Rainer