smartmontools

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Wed Jul 14 22:46:52 PDT 2010

Hi, the other day I posted this ticket:
    https://trac.macports.org/ticket/25613

It has to do with smartmontools and the way it does it's logging.  Apparently it logs to a channel called FACILITY.  I would like to learn how to get the logs to be part of their own log stored in /opt/local/var/whatever or into /var/log/system.log

Ideally, I think the tools should not need to alter syslog.conf, as traditionally, MacPorts tends to at least try to not alter things outside of it's install prefix.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the modifications to the port I would need to make to get the logs to work?  Right now, there is no real way to know that it is in fact working, aside from setting up the email alert.  The email alert only runs in test mode, and is something you are supposed to remove once you have gotten things working.

It was pure luck that I happened to install this on a machine that had postfix up and running enough to allow the  email to even send.  Usually, port 25 is going to be locked out at the ISP, and that mail is going to stick around in the postfix queue for some time.

I opened this 5 days ago, and have not heard from the maintainer, so I thought I would give it a shot at solving, assuming he does not mind.

Thanks for any suggestions.
--
Scott (* For off-list contact, replace talklists@ with scott@ *)