Installer should allow installation of macport in custom locations - for users without admin access

Mark Farnell mark.farnell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 15:37:18 PDT 2010

Yes, this is what I mean.

However if you feel this can cause security issues, there are two
alternative ways:

- Rather than letting the user to choose any directory, the installer
can ask the user to choose whether it is for system or for user, if
system, ask password and install in /opt/local/, if user, install in
$(HOME)/opt/local

- Alternatively, we can get rid of the installer altogether and put
the entire macport base file (and its ports) into MacPort.app.  Now
the user can move MacPort.app to anywhere and the OS will take care of
permission issues.