Installer should allow installation of macport in custom locations - for users without admin access

Mark Farnell mark.farnell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 00:30:27 PDT 2010

So I think the best way is to do away with the installer and put the
entire macport (base, ports and configuration files) within
MacPort.app.

All the user needs to do is to include the bin path(s)  within
MacPort.app in .bashrc

Then whenever we run "port install", port will detect the directory of
its MacPort.app (a machine can have multiple copies of MacPort.app
across the system) directory and install the ports correctly into its
own MacPort.app

Does this idea sound better?

Mark