Installer should allow installation of macport in custom locations - for users without admin access

Mark Farnell mark.farnell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 02:57:21 PDT 2010

> The less immediate but possibly bigger issue is that archives are built
> for a particular prefix, and most of the software available in the ports
> tree is not relocatable. So when we start doing binary distribution,
> anyone not using a prefix of /opt/local misses out.
>
> - Josh

Are there any way to make ports relocable?

In OS X, applications are placed in Foo.app

whereas shared libraries (Framework) and data are placed under /Library

If Foo.app is in /Applications, then it will look at shared data in /Library

whereas

if Foo.app is in $(HOME)/Applications, then it will look at shared
data in $HOME/Library

So under OS X, applications are relocatable

So are there any way to compile ports so that the binaries are
relocatable (i.e. look at relative path)?

Mark