[70067] trunk/dports/python

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jul 29 21:39:44 PDT 2010

On Jul 29, 2010, at 23:24, Joshua Root wrote:
> On 2010-7-30 03:23 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> I'm curious why you changed these ports from using depends_lib-append to depends_lib. Isn't depends_lib-append the preferable choice, since it does not overwrite the dependencies of the portgroup?
>
> It's just a redundant dependency on python.

I thought you might say that. And that's true, in these specific cases, but I feel it's important that each portfile embody our best practices, so that a prospective new portfile developer can read any portfile and learn good habits. The best practice in this case is to append to the portgroup's dependencies so they don't get overwritten. In the case of these three ports, true, the dependencies being added are other python modules, so they already have the python dependency from the portgroup. But what if a new developer reads one of these three portfiles and uses it as the basis for a new python module portfile that doesn't have a dependency on another python module but does have a dependency on some other library? This person might not recognize the nuance of having to maintain the portgroup's python dependency, since in these revisions you've removed the only clue that this was the case. I recommend you go back to using -append to make this need clear.