Installer should allow installation of macport in custom locations - for users without admin access

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Fri Jul 30 03:01:32 PDT 2010

Joshua Root wrote:

>> It would be better/easier to have everything under ${prefix},
>> instead of
>> installed into 4 possibly different locations (prefix, tclpackage,
>> applications, frameworks).
>
> There's only a symlink in the Tcl package dir now (which needs to be
> there so 'package require macports' works). Frameworks dir has
> defaulted
> to inside $prefix for a while now, so I don't think that's a big
> issue.

It's not. "3 down, 1 to go" :-)

> Maybe /Applications/MacPorts could be a symlink too, I've never tested
> whether Launch Services handles that right.

And also, chances are that those .app bundles inside are built with
dynamic libraries linking to /opt/local/lib and frameworks linking
to /opt/local/Library/Frameworks, so if you copied it over elsewhere
you might be surprised anyway. So it's only a part of the relocation.

--anders