[68483] trunk/dports/tex/LaTeXiT/Portfile

Dan Ports dports at macports.org
Fri Jun 4 16:46:01 PDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 02:49:08PM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> > Perhaps we should have a generic "tex" metaport that could be satisfied
> > by any TeX distribution? We have a teTeX port that could conceivably be
> > used instead, although teTeX is now obsolete so anyone still using it
> > is probably doing something wrong.
>
> A tex metaport might be an even better idea. We would then need to update all TeX-using ports to use this metaport, but that's not a terribly big deal; after all, we've already had to do it once when we switched from tetex to texlive. The tex metaport could have variants for MacTeX and TeX Live and intelligently select the default variant based on whether MacTeX is already installed.

I think this is probably the way to go, so I'll put it on my queue to
go along with the TeXLive update.

It would also make things a lot easier if some new TeX distribution
comes into the picture in the future, like when TeXLive replaced teTeX.

> I've been hearing about teTeX's obsolescence for awhile; should it just be removed?

Probably -- it hasn't been updated since 2006 and I can't think of any
reason someone would want to still be using it.

Dan

--
Dan R. K. Ports              MIT CSAIL                http://drkp.net/