MPFR in MacPorts

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Thu Jun 10 07:03:50 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 03:48:19PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> FYI, GNU MPFR 3.0.0 has just been released, but it is normal that
> I haven't updated the port yet: this new version is *not* binary
> compitible with the previous ones, and there are some dependencies
> that must be resolved first. For instance, the current Math::MPFR
> Perl module is not compatible with MPFR 3; its author will upload
> a new version to CPAN soon.
>
> All ports that depend on MPFR will need to be rebuilt (otherwise
> you'll get a failure because libmpfr.1.dylib cannot be found).

This is one of the major defects in the current MacPorts implementation
IMHO. There really ought to be a way to have co-existing mpfr-shlibs
packages for 2.x and 3.x but conflicting mpfr packages for building
programs against. We have exactly the same issue with molmol in
MacPorts. It is incompatible with the current openmotif 2.3.x releases and
needs co-existing openmotif-shlibs packages for 2.2.x and 2.3.x so
that molmol can be built and run against openmotif 2.2.x.
               Jack