Binary package installation without Portfile

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Thu Jun 17 14:45:33 PDT 2010

> Option 2: port archive
> ----------------------
>
> I built my package, and made the archive.  The tarball is in /opt/local/var/macports/packages/darwin/x86_64/packagename-version_0.x86_64.tgz -- inside the package is a copy of the portfile.  I copy this tarball to another machine with a clean install of MacPorts on it.  I try port unarchive packagename, and it says "no such package".  Do I need to have the Portfile installed on the target machine in order for it to even look for the binary package?  It's not going to see the appropriately-named tarball there and then try and grab the Portfile from inside it?  The downside of this method is that even if it did pick up the portfile from inside the tarball, it's going to then need to build & install all the various dependencies.  The upside is that if the person already has macports, it's not gonna clobber that.  Either way though, the instructions for a user to actually install the thing are ridiculously complicated "as root, edit macports.conf in some obscure directory to turn
>  on archive mode, then copy this file to some magic directory 9-levels deep in /opt, then run port install packagename", and that's only if it reads the portfile from within the tarball, which is apparently doesn't.  So I'll have to also explain to them how to create an overlay tree, install the package portfile in there, then do the other steps.  And if they mess that process up in some way, it won't work....

You always need the Portfile.  It could be as simple as having the end user having the Portfile and run "port install" in the same directory as it. To pull down archives, just have them set ARCHIVE_SITE_LOCAL=http://someDomain.com/directoryOfArchives/

Note that archivemode must be on and have the same type set as the archive's compression.