Mac::Growl?

Bradley Giesbrecht brad at pixilla.com
Sat May 1 09:58:53 PDT 2010

On May 1, 2010, at 9:42 AM, Steve Morris wrote:

> Brad,
>
> The install worked (didn't give an error) but the install didn't run
> the test suite so I am not sure that what was installed worked. This
> package comes with a bunch of tests. Also I know that Mac::Growl has a
> bunch of dependencies on other CPAN packages but I had already
> installed the p5- versions of those so dependencies  didn't get
> tested. "port deps p5-mac-growl" doesn't list any dependancies so this
> is probably a problem. I know at a minimum it depends on Mac::Glue and
> some Applescript stuff. These should have been listed.

I only saw a dep for mac:glue and that was only if you were using
mac::glue. Other then that I didn't see anything in the docs I read
about deps.

> Other general development questions:
>
> I'll save this email for future reference. You suggest that I could
> have built it in the port directory without running portindex. That
> sounds like it could be useful. How would that work?

cd to where your Portfile is and you can use the port command without
including the port.

cd ~/ports/perl/p5-mac-growl
port info
sudo port extract
ls ./work
sudo port patch
sudo port configure
sudo port build
sudo port destroot
ls ./work/destroot

I just listed some of the port stages for your reference. Each stage
will call all previous stages.

There is a file in ./work named .macports.<port name>.state that keeps
track of what stages have been completed. Every time you make a change
to your portfile ./work gets replaced. If you want to prevent this
behaviour because your extract is heavy or what ever you can do "port -
vof patch" or what ever and port will ignore the fact the your
Portfile is newer then your state file.

It's not necessary to sudo all the commands but it you don't the the
worksrcpath is relevant to ~/.macports or something and I prefer to
have ./work in the port dir. Makes patching easier for me. I get tired
of sudo and just sudo -s. I'm bad, as in not good not as in badass.

cpan2port is in http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/contrib/.

> Thanks for the help.
>
> Steve
>
> PS. Next time I'll remember cpan2port and try it myself before asking.
>
> On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Bradley Giesbrecht
> <brad at pixilla.com> wrote:
>>
>> On May 1, 2010, at 8:18 AM, Steve Morris wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Brad,
>>>
>>> I'm trying but I am new at this. I apologize but I need a little
>>> more
>>> info than the local-repositories guide and the ticket offers. I
>>> edited
>>> sources.conf, and created a ~/ports directory to match the URL I