port notes

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Sat May 1 13:24:50 PDT 2010

On May 1, 2010, at 12:58 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On May 1, 2010, at 14:51, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On May 1, 2010, at 14:27, Scott Haneda wrote:
>>
>>> For example, I now have:
>>>  ui_msg "You can start ${pretty_name} from the command line with:"
>>>  ui_msg "    sudo ${prefix}/sbin/${name} &"
>>>
>>> That would not make a lot of sense to display via `port notes` if the software is not installed.  So I should wrap those blocks in a condition that checks if the port was installed?
>>
>> Hm. I'm not sure.
>
> The example shown in the port manpage (in trunk) is similar, showing instructions that only make sense once the port is installed. So I don't think you need to wrap that in any is-installed tests. Just write the notes.

Ok, sort of makes sense, I think.  As an end user, if I run `port notes foo` and it tells me something that I can do that does not work unless the software is installed, I think that is somewhat confusing.   Then again, perhaps I am over thinking this, port users more than likely understand this.

Ok, I will just write out the notes.  Thanks for all your help.