port notes

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Sat May 1 15:16:40 PDT 2010

Hi Ryan,
I have some more lengthy comments to add to this post which I will do later, in the meantime...

On May 1, 2010, at 2:04 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> With new ports I'm trying to get into the habit of using notes, like with xdotool, where it was straightforward. Some of my other ports (lighttpd, sleepwatcher, wget, whois) could easily have their ui_msgs converted to notes too.

I was curious, so I installed ports `whois`, I use `whois` often, always using /usr/bin/whois, and now have /opt/local/bin/whois.  What is the advantage?

FYI:
`port info whois`
                      server.

* follow should be follows.

I see a lot of example use of `wget` online, but have always leaned on `curl` for those needs. Being the maintainer of `wget`, what advantages do you find over `curl`?

Thank you