ftp.logilab.fr versus pypi.python.org

Arthur Lutz arthur.lutz at logilab.fr
Tue May 4 07:14:31 PDT 2010

Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at ...> writes
> On May 3, 2010, at 20:16, Blair Zajac wrote:
>
> > Some companies block outgoing FTP so to download a package I need an
> > HTTP site.

For the problem of accessing through ftp, we also serve the same files through
http, I don't understand what the problem is.

[snip]

> I don't know why they've done this. I recommend asking the people in
> charge of
> both servers why they're not
> serving identical files.

Logilab's software is published in both places. The process in the two cases
is not exactly the same (for example for pypi, we use the setuptools automagic
upload functionnality)... I admit that the md5sum is not the same and we're
looking into that... firing up meld on the two uncompressed versions doesn't
seem to pickup any differences.

The fact that not all version of astn are present on pypi is because there
used to be a time when astng was only published on logilab.org.

Right now I don't see the differences between our http and ftp ... what was
the difference ?

Hope to have answered your worries/questions.

Arthur Lutz