patchfiles and specifying -p

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Mon May 17 08:22:47 PDT 2010

> Do we really need any changes? I mean we've gotten by so far without them.

Then why have we implemented any new features at all? Citing their nonexistence doesn't imply they are less than desirable.  If patches arrive that provide additional functionality without negative impact then we should welcome them.

The real argument here is about which is better:  make all patches for a given port operate in a uniform manner (very rigid, easy to investigate) or have indexed arguments for each patch file (very flexible, potentially difficult to debug).