Homebrew

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Mon May 17 13:48:14 PDT 2010

On May 17, 2010, at 8:20 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
wrote:

> I just learned that apparently "Homebrew is [...] a perfect
> replacement for MacPorts." I didn't know we needed replacing.
>
> http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/

I think it's fine to have a competitor. There already is CPAN and
Fink. It's good to have healthy competition.

This one though, they are immediately bashing MacPorts as if it needs
replacing. MacPorts is pretty mature compared to my cursory glance at
Homebrew.

I'm not sure why they felt they needed to position themselves as a
MacPorts replacement; why not a Fink replacement?

I also do not at all like that they symblink into a local dir from
their prefix. That seems a recipe for disaster. The way MacPorts is
isolated was a great design decision.

I'm not seeing a list of Homebrew installer ports/packages. Do they at
least have a working AMP stack, how is their php install and
associated modules?

Weird direction to take in releasing an alternative. Apparently
someone out there does not like MacPorts :)

Who are the people behind this project?

(Sent from a mobile device)