Homebrew

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Tue May 18 08:14:14 PDT 2010

On May 18, 2010, at 10:14 AM, Jack Howarth wrote:
> I can't find the link at the moment but I am pretty sure that
> hardlinks have a significant performance penalty under HFS
> compared to symlinks. I recall it being something like 10-fold
> slower because the hardlinks are kept in a flat file system
> and HFS would require an rewrite to solve this.

MacPort's use of hardlinks actually hit up against this in the initial implementation. Apple has greatly improved HFS+ hardlink support, though. IIRC things were much better under 10.4 and the (small) remaining performance problems were fixed for 10.5.

I think jkh even posted to the list asking for any test cases where hardlink performance was bad to be filed as bugs so that they could be fixed (in the pre-10.5 days)...

--
Daniel J. Luke