Homebrew

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Tue May 18 11:01:33 PDT 2010

On May 18, 2010, at 1:48 PM, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
> This comment almost makes me mad. The handful committers don't need local repos. Wonder why?

I don't need/use a local repo because my macports/sources.conf points to a svn checkout. If/when I see problems with ports I'm using I can fix them there and generate diffs to attach to tickets. A 'svn update' of that directory won't kill my local changes, either.

A local repo is good for testing a whole bunch of new ports, or for having something you want to be able to distribute within an organization that you don't want to contribute back to Macports (say a set of internal-use applications). It's still a pretty worthwhile feature.

> When openssl was upgraded to v1 beta or what ever and it broke everything I care about it made me wish for a way to stop port from upgrading things I didn't ask it to.

port only upgrades what you ask it to.

What you wanted was a way to say upgrade everything except for openssl (or a more magic version, upgrade everything that won't break the stuff I care about).

--
Daniel J. Luke