Filesystem Misinformation [was Re: Homebrew]

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Fri May 21 18:45:48 PDT 2010

On May 18, 2010, at 7:45 PM, Arno Hautala wrote:

> No, look at my examples.
> I know that if a directory hasn't changed between backups TM doesn't
> re-copy or link every file (as does rsnapshot) to save space.  It
> links the directory.  And a modified file will copy that file, link
> the unchanged files, and carry on.
> I'm talking about hardlinks on the source volume that TM should be
> backing up as consistent hardlinks.

Arno,

Sorry for the delay in my follow-up, but I wanted to go try some backup scenarios first and make sure I was really correct about all the nuances of TM"s behavior.  Having done so, I can now sadly confirm that YOU are correct and I was wrong, so I owe you an apology there!  TM does *not* properly preserve hard links, it simply makes redundant copies, and I'm not sure how I got the impression that it did.  I'll be filing a bug report on it, if only to see which existing bug they dup it to. :-)

Cheers,

- Jordan