r68259

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Sun May 30 19:42:01 PDT 2010

On May 30, 2010, at 6:49 PM, Jeremy Lavergne
<jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org> wrote:

> Is there anyone using Tiger that can check into this?

What is the most current Mac hardware that will run 10.3, 10.4, and
10.5? Further, a machine that has a propensity for any of the now
aging yet hopefully inexpensive CPU upgrade cards?

Would it be beneficial to have a machine, sitting on a 50/10Mb/s line,
that could have ssh open to those who request access. Each would get
an account and sudo access. I would issue ssh keys also.

I would set things up in a way that the OS can be blown back on with a
config that is ready to go. Basically set up each OS, make an image,
once a week, or on request of things being too messy, I would re-image
from a clean read only disk copy backup clone. This could be user
automated as well. A shell script can issue the command, bless, and
reboot.

There would be three shell scripts in the PATH, r3, r4, and r5, for
reboot and the OS to boot into. Issue sudu r4 and it should come back
up in 10.4.

I'd be happy to leave it up for all, and know I can get the hardware
donated from a friend who owns a Mac repair shop and has thousands of
old machines and parts in a second warehouse. The CPU upgrade may be
nice, but maybe not needed.

The only restrictions I would put in place are almost no outbound
connections would be allowed past a local hardware firewall. Basic
ports and those needed by MP will be open, but port 25, 587, etc,
those would all be closed up.

Would this help, or are we beyond this need, and most are humming
along with 10.5 or 10.6?

This is not a build farm type of thing, but more a way to help us all
make sure we can run on at least 10.4 and up, which seems a fair
target for where OS distribution is at. I find current version minus 2
is generally the speed at which Apples OS's move.
(Sent from a mobile device)