Port groups howto

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Mon Nov 1 08:16:00 PDT 2010

> So, today's update will be to make it a proc & then in any port that uses it first call the proc & then that variable will be available any time after it.  Not quite what I wanted, but it works.  Any idea how to get this variable to show up automatically, without having to call the proc? - MLD

Having a proc isn't a problem, and having maintainers call it isn't a horrible issue. After all, they're already going "out of their way" to call the PortGroup--one more call will not kill anyone.

Just have the portfiles call the proc after the PortGroup. This is done with the perl portgroup: they have two essential setup functions, one overriding the other when needed.

example:

PortGroup qt4 1.0

qt4.setup