ghc status and plans

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Wed Nov 3 06:43:13 PDT 2010

On 2010-11-4 00:16 , Gregory Wright wrote:

> As soon as I get 6.12.3 ported, my intention is to update the haskell
> platform to the
> current version.  I would like to move the haskell libraries from devel
> to a new top level
> haskell directory.  My plan is to support the most two recent versions
> of the platform.
> This will require quite a few explicitly versioned ports, but the
> situation isn't really any
> worse than for Python, for which we have py25 and py26 ports.
>
> I am asking for comments and guidance on how to make this change go
> smoothly.
> (Or, if the haskell ports should just be left where they are, I'm OK
> with that too.)
> Once the current version of the compiler is available, it will be
> possible to add quite
> a few ports which depend on ghc being at 6.12.3 or later.

Changing the location in the tree isn't a problem at all, just 'svn mv'
each port dir and change the categories line in the portfile to match.

For switching to version-in-name style, you'll want to add the versioned
ports, then convert the old unversioned ones to stubs (see py26-pyobjc2
for an example of a stub port). Put 'replaced_by <versioned_name>' in
the stub, and also bump its revision so it shows as outdated.

Other than that, you'll just need to make sure that everything that
depends on the stuff you're changing has its dependencies updated
appropriately, and gets rev bumped if it needs to be rebuilt (and hasn't
already been updated to a new version of course).

- Josh