[73103] djview Lint Report

Michael Dickens michaelld at macports.org
Thu Nov 4 17:52:23 PDT 2010

On Nov 4, 2010, at 8:10 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> A lot of my ports still use the archcheck portgroup, mostly because I haven't taken the time to check whether it's safe to remove.
>
> But the one nice thing the archcheck portgroup does, that MacPorts base doesn't do, is check the actual architectures of the installed files. MacPorts base only checks the architecture for which the port claims to have installed the files, which, if the port doesn't respect build_arch or universal_archs, for example, might not necessarily be the same thing.

That all makes sense.  What I've been doing is making sure that +universal actually installs for the correct arches (and links with the correct other libraries), by doing a destroot & then something along the lines of:

pushd `port dir foo`/work/destroot
otool -L `find . -name "*.dylib" -type f` | more
file `find . -name "*.dylib" -type f`

and if it doesn't work then either fixing +universal to work or setting it to "no" in the Portfile.  Hence, at least for some (most?) ports, +universal has real meaning :)   Of course, that can change easily with a version upgrade, if one doesn't check to make sure. - MLD