kdelibs4 depending on qt4-mac but also on X11!??!

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Nov 12 15:54:12 PST 2010

On Nov 12, 2010, at 16:15, Marko Käning wrote:
> On Nov 12, 2010, at 11:11 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> Well, the implications of using the no_x11 variant should be that you do NOT have to install X11-related ports. I meant I don't know what the implications are for the functionality of giflib. Presumably the port depends on those X11 libraries because they are of some kind of benefit.
>
> I see, I misunderstood you.
>
> Well, I guess giflib really needs those to be able to function... :(

Not necessarily. After all, it does have a no_x11 variant that removes those dependencies. Although I'm listed as giflib's maintainer, I don't actually know anything about the software. But based on the existence of the no_x11 variant, it seems the port can function with or without X11 libraries. I don't know what consequence removing those libraries has for this software. Perhaps the program can work faster with the X11 libraries. Perhaps there are other consequences. I don't know. If you want to know for sure, you should ask the developer(s) of giflib.