Kismet and Tiger

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Nov 28 15:10:38 PST 2010

On Nov 28, 2010, at 13:28, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> On Nov 27, 2010, at 6:53 PM, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
>
>> Anyone have a moment to check out kismet on a Tiger box? Specifically I've got issues with -fnested-functions not working.
>
> You guys are still supporting Tiger?  Really?  Why?  Even the most die-hard PPC hold-out can still run Leopard, so it's not like some specific demographic is going to be locked out by dropping support for anything older than 10.5?

Jordan,

Leopard only runs on 867MHz-and-faster PowerPCs. There were many PowerPCs made that were slower. The Power Mac at my desk, for example, that I use for Tiger testing. There are hacks to make Leopard run on it, but this is not optimal; for example, my G4's graphics card does not have a specific driver in Leopard, so it falls back to something generic and incredibly slow.

MacPorts works on Tiger and PowerPC. Many ports work on Tiger and PowerPC.

IMHO, users of older Macs with older Mac OS are those in the greatest need of the newer versions of software MacPorts provides.

-Ryan