exhaustive testing (was: Kismet and Tiger)

William Siegrist wsiegrist at apple.com
Mon Nov 29 14:09:30 PST 2010

On Nov 29, 2010, at 1:24 PM, Joshua Root wrote:

> On 2010-11-30 07:50 , Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>>
>> How many people (in the maintainers group) even still have G4/Tiger
>> hardware to test on and what sorts of statements can be made about what
>> percentage of the MacPorts "ports collection" works on SnowLeopard,
>> Leopard and Tiger?  Probably none, since that kind of exhaustive testing
>> has always been conspicuously absent for even the latest releases of
>> MacOSX and MacPorts, but it seems somewhat less than fair to either the
>> maintainers or the users of MacPorts to have Tiger users assume anything
>> at all about the state of support, and if they can't assume anything,
>> then where's the value?
>
> Bill actually completed possibly the first ever full run of MPAB a while
> ago. Admittedly it was on 10.6, but that was actually harder than doing
> it on an earlier OS (because of "interesting" chroot issues previously
> mentioned on this list), and I don't think it would be too hard to
> rustle up a 10.4/ppc box.
>
> We're basically waiting for MPWA to be up and running to give us a
> platform on which to actually report the results, which was itself
> blocked on some internal macosforge matters last I heard.
>
> This will hopefully go a long way towards letting users know where they
> stand once it's complete.

Of course, "full" run here means it tried all 7000+ ports and built everything it could (somewhere in the 4000's iirc). Anyway, as Josh pointed out, we're doing some backend work on Mac OS Forge still and are trying not to disturb the front end too much. Once that is done, we'll be deploying the MPWA work Joe did. After that, we'll look at building in some build automation, which will probably be a mix of MPAB and Buildbot. Unfortunately, the backend work for Mac OS Forge keeps slipping due to external issues, but we're making progress.

-Bill