[MacPorts] #26710: Update gdk-pixbuf to latest release

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sun Oct 3 13:24:44 PDT 2010

On 2010-10-03 20:16 , David Evans wrote:
> Actually the latest version of gtk+ 2.22.0 breaks gdk-pixbuf out
> separately again (also 2.22.0) to keep
> it out of the gtk3 development path.  So a gdk-pixbuf-2 port will be
> necessary when gtk2 is upgraded (and some
> logic to disable the old gtk2 before upgrading to avoid conflicts
> between the old and new systems).  Perhaps
> this is what the OP is referring to?

Ahhh, this explains what's going on here. Yes, I would also go for a new
port name as gdk-pixbuf still has dependents.

So we definitely need a gdk-pixbuf2 port and have multiple options to
implement this at the time gtk2 gets updated to 2.22.0:

a) gtk2 @0.22.0 adds a dependency on gdk-pixbuf2

   Complicated upgrade path, as gdk-pixbuf2 needs to replace files from
   gtk2 <0.22.0. The upgrade will not be straight forward, but could be
   done with some hack inside a pre-activate phase in gdk-pixbuf2.

b) gtk2 @0.22.0 does *not* add a dependency on gdk-pixbuf2, but
   this is added to individual ports

   Easy upgrade path, but a lot of work as this means scanning all
   recursive dependents of gtk2 for linkage with libgdk-pixbuf*.dylib.

Rainer