[72651] trunk/dports

David Evans devans at macports.org
Thu Oct 21 19:50:48 PDT 2010

On 10/21/10 6:46 PM, Rainer Müller wrote:
> Changes like this should not be necessary anymore with 1.9. If you try
> to install +universal and a dependency does not have a universal
> variant, it will print a descriptive error message:
>
>   $ sudo port install foo +universal
>   Error: Cannot install foo for the arch(s) 'i386 x86_64' because
>   Error: its dependency bar is only installed for the arch 'x86_64'
>   Error: and does not have a universal variant.
>   Error: Unable to execute port: architecture mismatch
>   To report a bug, see <http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets>
>
> Rainer
I'm a little late in chiming in here but as Ryan says this error message
is what I am trying to
avoid.  Based on what I've seen in tickets recently, this message seems
to just make
people stop and ask 'What now?'.  I think this is because it describes,
very technically,
the error condition but doesn't give any guidance on what to do about it
(except file
a ticket which is really not called for here).

For the average user, things should just work.