Tracking the number of downloads

Marko Käning MK-MacPorts at techno.ms
Sat Oct 23 02:06:44 PDT 2010

> but as a proxy we could count the number of downloads of
> source tar balls through the MacPorts mirror sites.

I raised the question some time ago. Yes, I think it would probably very helpful to have these numbers, since it port popularity would be an important criterion when it comes to which tickets should be fixed first.

Yep, here is my vote for a corresponding proxy function and the new port command to query the "popularity rating" or "number of downloads during the last year" or "number of downloads relative to all downloads" or whatever sounds suitable.