xmlto dependencies on texlive

Dan Ports dports at macports.org
Tue Oct 26 18:58:28 PDT 2010

xmlto depends on texlive, which has caused some problems because it
adds annoyingly large dependency chains to some ports (see #26335 &
#26271) that use it to build documentation. Worse, texlive itself
depends on some ports that use xmlto, meaning that they need to push
documentation into a variant to avoid dependency loops.

I'm wondering if we can do something about this...

My understanding (which is based mostly on having read the xmlto
webpage today, so please correct me if you know better!) is that xmlto
uses dblatex to generate printable PDF documentation, but some ports
are just using it to build manpages or HTML documentation.

Can move xmlto's dblatex/texlive dependencies into a variant, or better
yet a separate port?

I see that on my Debian and FreeBSD systems, xmlto makes its TeX
dependencies optional.

Dan

--
Dan R. K. Ports              MIT CSAIL                http://drkp.net/