Disabling Features to Resolve Errors

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Sep 16 15:07:12 PDT 2010

On Sep 15, 2010, at 20:30, Ryan Stonecipher wrote:

> The latest gstreamer plugins releases experience similar build errors
> looking for files related to gtk-doc.
> In order to keep the ports up-to-date I have been appending
> '--disable-gtk-doc' to their configure arguments.
> Is it reasonable to disable features to avoid errors?

It's probably better than a completely broken port. For example I've disabled gettext in some ports which were found to be incompatible with gettext 0.18.x. This tends to be older software that hasn't been updated in years.

> Should tickets be filed on our bug tracker to resolve such errors, or
> is slight loss of functionality (documentation in this case)
> acceptable without further resolution?

If it's not an open-maintainer port you may want to file a ticket, but if the port doesn't compile and you can make it compile, then that might be ok to commit without a ticket.