MacPorts binary distribution

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Mon Sep 20 14:47:55 PDT 2010

On Sep 20, 2010, at 13:44, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

> Well MacPorts is ready to do binary distribution: how would that ability change your your prospects?

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 14:54, Jeremy Lavergne
<jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org> wrote:

> Yup. Been using it since 1.9 came out, even signing my own packages (until MacPorts starts its build farm).

It was recently brought up in another thread that MacPorts now has
better support for installing precompiled ports.  I've been tackling
this on my own computers by configuring MacPorts to build archives and
then shipping those archives to other local machines in order to avoid
redundant compilation.  This has functioned fine so far, but if I
could shift the fetching phase from an rsync process to MacPorts, I'd
prefer it.

So, my questions:

Can MacPorts fetch packages via rsync or scp?  Or is it just http
right now?  For rsync or scp I currently use ssh keys, is that
possible through MP?
Can multiple sources be defined (computer.local when a laptop is on
the local network, but nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn when offsite)?
Are there instructions available regarding what is necessary to setup
a build repository?

Exciting times.

--Arno

arno  s  hautala    /-|   arno at alum.wpi.edu

pgp eabb6fe6 d47c500f b2458f5d a7cc7abb f81c4e00