numpy & non-Apple gcc?

Michael Dickens michaelld at macports.org
Tue Sep 21 11:47:52 PDT 2010

Hi Keith - No problem on the "reply to all" thing; it happens to all of us (really).  There was a follow-up on this subject (renamed "ambivalence about fortran") that covered parts of your fortran question.  Apple does not provide a fortran compiler in XCode, and, really, there is no good way to bootstrap or patch in fortran to that compiler; so if any given port requires fortran for compiling then some MacPorts port needs to be installed to handle it.  The options seem to be "g95" and one of the "gcc4X" series.  Given that there is no way for a port to depend on a specific -variant- of another port (e.g., "gcc +fortran" only assuming that there were variants for the other compilers), one has to select a specific port and use all of it.  For the scientific / math ports that require fortran, the gcc4X series was picked; I was not part of this discussion, so I cannot say the reasoning behind it.  There are some ports that do not require MP's gcc4X's fortran at all (no fortran linking at all), while others such as numpy may or not -require- it but do have variants that use libraries that do require it -- and, hence, should really be using MP's gcc4X in this case to be consistent.  I don't know if the above answered your questions well enough; if not, ask again in another manner. - MLD