numpy & non-Apple gcc?

Michael Dickens michaelld at macports.org
Wed Sep 22 04:33:50 PDT 2010

On Sep 22, 2010, at 4:09 AM, Michael Feiri wrote:
> We also have llvm-gfortran-4.2 available in macports as part of the llvm-gcc42 port. This version of gfortran is based on Apples branch of gcc42 and uses the latest llvm for code generation. It should be the safest option because it uses the same libgcc linking rules as Apples gcc42. No libgcc_ext or other workarounds required.

Thank you, Michael.  I hadn't found that one yet in a quick search.  I like that it's based on Apple's GCC42 & thus doesn't have the potential issues we've been talking about when using different GCC versions; seems like it's worth considering for compatibility reasons as a variant on the various math ports that require fortran.  Anyone know if a more recent GCC (43, 44, 45) produce "better" binaries -- smaller, faster, whatever, that make it desirable to use the more recent GCC over an older one?  IDK. - MLD