[71761] trunk/dports/sysutils/dpkg

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Sep 22 16:00:32 PDT 2010

On 2010-09-22 22:41 , Joshua Root wrote:
> On 2010-9-23 06:15 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> Weren't we supposed to be depending on perl as "path:bin/perl:perl5"?
>
> That makes no sense given that perl5 doesn't provide bin/perl...

perl5 always depends on one of perl5.8, perl5.10 or perl5.12 depending
on which variant you use. In my opinion it is safe to assume that you
have bin/perl when perl5 is installed.

But, you could also have one of these ports without having perl5
installed. A port:perl5 style dependency would always try to install
perl5.8 (without variant selections) even if you already have the
conflicting ports perl5.10 or perl5.12. The path:bin/perl:perl5 style
dependency avoids this conflict without forcing the user to select a
specific variant.

Rainer