port -q -v differs from port -v -q

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Sep 24 14:00:03 PDT 2010

On Sep 24, 2010, at 15:43, Rainer Müller wrote:
> On 2010-09-24 22:24 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> I just noticed that "port -q -v" is not the same as "port -v -q":
>>

>> $ port -v -q installed zlib
>>  zlib @1.2.5_0+universal (active)
>> $ port -q -v installed zlib
>>  zlib @1.2.5_0+universal (active) platform='darwin 10' archs='i386 x86_64'
>>

>> This is confusing, isn't it?
>
> Hm, the bug is that -q resets -v and -d, but they both do not reset -q.
>
> Probably it would make more sense if -q would not change -v or -d. We
> could handle them as 3 distinct output levels, but then it would not be
> possible to hide headers ("The following ports are currently
> installed:") while still seeing "platforms" and "archs" output.

...which is precisely the output I wanted. :)

It makes sense to me that "quiet" would hide some info that's normally shown, and "verbose" would show some info that's normally hidden. As you said, I want to hide the usually-shown header, and show the usually-hidden architectures and platforms. I want both of these changes in my output; I don't want to choose between them. In my mind, these options do not reset one another.

So, what would happen if -q did not reset -v and -d?