Do We Have depends_test?

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue Apr 5 16:09:24 PDT 2011

On 2011-04-06 00:59 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Apr 5, 2011, at 17:51, Rainer Müller wrote:
>> PortSystem is meant to be increased once we move on with
>> incompatible changes to the Portfile syntax. The version number is
>> currently being used to require the port 1.0 package
>> (base/src/port1.0).
>
> We make incompatible changes in Portfile syntax constantly without
> increasing the version number. Every time we add a new command and
> then start using it in Portfiles (depends_fetch, depends_extract,
> license, supported_archs). And every time we remove a command that
> used to be valid (cd, exit).

New commands are not incompatible.

As we removed the commands we could have increased the PortSystem
version if we would have wanted to support old Portfiles using these
commands.

> What would happen if we were to decide today, let's now call it
> PortSystem 1.1? What would happen with the thousands of PortSystem
> 1.0 portfiles we currently have? Would we attempt to continue support
> outdated commands like cd and exit in them? Would we prevent the use
> of new commands in them? Is the infrastructure set up for that?

I would say PortSystem was added to have the option to use a different
format. As it is currently implemented, we would have to duplicate the
port1.0 package completely as port1.1 and maintain these as separate
branches.

I have concerns the API separation between macports1.0 and port1.0 is
strict enough to support this. We are using global variables here and
there which most probably obstruct such an effort at the moment. But I
never tried it, and I don't see a need to...

Rainer