[m]pkg phase

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Apr 11 01:57:40 PDT 2011

On 2011-04-10 21:48 , Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> On Apr 10, 2011, at 12:01 PM, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
>
>> Now that images and archives is in trunk, instead of hardlinking
>> files into place it's just expanding the archive into place--or at
>> least that's what it looks like. I've given up on it for now,
>> unmerging it in my local trunk.
>
> I'm having a little difficulty parsing just what exactly that means.
> :)
>
> Are you saying that what's in trunk will now unpack directly into the
> ${prefix} and ignore the
> ${prefix}/var/macports/software/${name}/${version}_${revision}+${variants}
> location entirely?

Instead of "images" (plain files, activation using hardlinks), it is now
using "archives" (compressed, activation using extract). They are
located in
${prefix}/var/macports/software/${name}/${name}-${version}_${revision}+${variants}.${platform}.tbz2

This was done so we can share and download these archive files to skip
the build process locally and make it easier to use.

> If true, that would leave a lot of stuff in
> ${prefix}/var/macports/software/${name}/${version}_${revision}+${variants}
> essentially orphaned, so I'm doing my best to assume that's not what
> you meant. :)

The old images already installed will be converted to archives on 'make
install' or in the postflight script of the disk image installer. Of
course, this will take some time if you have many ports.

> Even if that is what you meant, you then say you've
> "given up on it", which means you're reverting this, or...  what?
> Man, I'm totally confused. :-)

I guess Jeremy didn't want to convert the old images yet and therefore
did not apply the changes on his local install. It's still on trunk in
the repo :-)

Rainer