Local portfile masks portfile in main repository

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Fri Apr 15 03:50:41 PDT 2011

Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> By design, if you have a local portfile for a port, then that will be used, instead of any identically-named port in the main port repository. Some users may have forgotten that they have a local portfile, which can result in a problem, as in this situation where the user's local port was older than the official version:
>
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/29132#comment:2

It already compares versions ? If the user had done a "port sync", he would have seen the newer version. Since that wasn't done, it was happy running with the archived ports which is reasonable I think.

I think it's annoying enough that it defaults to upgrading all the dependencies. If it also defaults to synching sources "just in case" every time you try to build something, it would be unbearable...

--anders