Checksum libraries

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Fri Apr 15 05:12:56 PDT 2011

Joshua Root wrote:

>>> Make no mistake, MacPorts is still highly platform-dependent,
>>> both by choice and by accident. There was a (partial) effort
>>> to have MacPorts 1.6.0 be portable and run on multiple platforms,
>>> including FreeBSD, and even Fedora (Linux) and Ubuntu (Linux)...
>>
>> Actually some of the mirror administrators run MacPorts on Linux to
>> fetch distfiles from all available sources.
>
> That's what prompted the application of this patch. Most Linux distros
> apparently don't have a libmd package.

It's a BSD package, so not that surprising... Mac OS X has it,
but for some reason the SHA256 support is disabled by default:

http://opensource.apple.com/tarballs/libmd/libmd-3.tar.gz

And of course it's statically linked, so it's only /sbin/md5
remaining. (the headers and library install to /usr/local...)

Another package that seems missing from most Linux distros
is mtree, so I made some custom rpm/deb packages for that:

http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/users/afb/mtree-2.7-5.src.rpm
http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/users/afb/mtree_2.7-5.dsc

Since MacPorts doesn't actually use Objective-C/Foundation yet,
it was always possible to patch it out or (now) disable it...
But using GNUstep was enough for the old requirements, though
it would probably take some patches for MacPorts.framework ?

--without-objc-runtime --without-objc-foundation
--with-objc-runtime=GNU --with-objc-foundation=GNUstep

But what I meant was using MacPorts to _install software_,
that still doesn't work (any more). Things like "archcheck"
and "make -w" and other such assumptions, break at runtime...
For running a distfiles mirror, it should limp along again ?

--anders