Compiling Subversion and its dependencies for Snow Leopard (10.6.6)

Gavin Baumanis gavinb at thespidernet.com
Sat Apr 16 04:04:31 PDT 2011

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to compile SVN  for my Mac from the Subversion trunk.
But I seem to be having some issues compiling APR and APR-UTIL.

It was suggested to me that I might make make contact over here at MacPorts, since you guys (and gals) have obviously got it (config // build - wise) working correctly for Mac.

So I am hoping that someone might be able to point me in the right direction with some assistance on compiling for myself Subversion and it's dependencies.

So far, I have checked-out the SVN source code from trunk and obtained the required dependencies via the SVN supplied get-depends.sh script.
And that pretty much wehre it falls apart for me.

$sh ./autogen.sh : produces the following

buildcheck: checking installation...
buildcheck: autoconf version 2.61 (ok)
buildcheck: autoheader version 2.61 (ok)
buildcheck: local copy of find_apr.m4 does not match APR's copy.
         An updated copy of find_apr.m4 may need to be checked in.
buildcheck: local copy of PrintPath does not match APR's copy.
         An updated copy of PrintPath may need to be checked in.
buildcheck: local copy of find_apu.m4 does not match APRUTIL's copy.
         An updated copy of find_apu.m4 may need to be checked in.
Creating build-outputs.mk...
Creating svn_private_config.h.in...
Creating configure...

I assume it is because I already have apache (web server) installed as part of the OS?(But it is an assumption)
If I ignore the above, then.

$./configure  : seems to run error free.

$make : sees a few warnings throughout the process, like;
subversion/libsvn_subr/svn_string.c:778: warning: format ‘%lld’ expects type ‘long long int’, but argument 6 has type ‘apr_int64_t’

So I don't know if I need to include a switch specific for the mac - or if these sorts of errors can be safely ignored, or if there a result of the autogen.sh complaints earlier.

And finally, make ends with;
Undefined symbols:
"_apr_file_info_get$INODE64", referenced from:
   _close_file in dump_editor.o
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [subversion/svnrdump/svnrdump] Error 1

If anyone has any suggestions : I would be really appreciative.

Oh, finally - I am not a C developer so I really have no understanding of configuring / compiling an application.
Though I am trying to learn!

Beau.