subports

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sat Apr 23 06:32:21 PDT 2011

On 2011-4-23 21:54 , Rainer Müller wrote:
> So if I get this correctly, subport provides several ports under
> different names from the same Portfile. But what exactly can be
> different in a subport? Could a subport provide a different version? I
> could imagine this to be used for *-devel ports as well.

Yes, there's no reason you couldn't do that. I imagine the limits will
be more that things get too confusing rather than any technical
limitation on what you can change.

> This probably also renders the 'current' pseudo-port unusable, except we
> change this to current:subportname or something similar.

You can specify subport=foo on the command line. If you don't and you're
using 'current', you get the default/top-level port. That doesn't have
to be a stub like the python group makes it; you could for example have
swig as the default port and the swig-foo bindings as subports.

- Josh