GSoC: Announcing accepted students and projects 2011

Derek Ingrouville dergro at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 13:29:08 PDT 2011

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm looking forward to working with all
of you in the MacPorts community this summer.

My project is to develop a system for collecting and displaying
information about how people are using MacPorts. The "How?" question
is answered by collecting data from participating users concerning:

- The ports they use (Active, Inactive, and roughly how often they're
used (using a file's atime)
- Their system configuration (eg Mac OS version, XCode version)

When submitted, the data will be stored on a server and processed. The
processing will consist of breaking down the raw data into interesting
categories and generating useful visualisations. For example, it will
be possible to generate a plot showing the number of users of each
version of a port. Over time it would then also be possible to see how
quickly users transition from one version to another.

At the end of the summer MacPorts will have a system in place from
which it'll be possible to ask the user base a question and get a
useful answer in response.

Derek