GSoC: Announcing accepted students and projects 2011

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Tue Apr 26 21:09:47 PDT 2011

On Apr 26, 2011, at 11:46 PM, Felipe Tanus wrote:

> 2011/4/26 Rainer Müller <raimue at macports.org>:
> [...]
>> Derek, Clemens, Felipe, welcome to our community!
>>
>> Although you have already introduced yourself on the mailing list with
>> your proposals, it would probably be a good idea if you three could
>> reply with a few words about your upcoming projects.
>
> Hi,
>
> First of all, thank you for your interest in my proposal and for give
> me the opportunity to join macports through GSoC2011. I'm sure that
> this experience will be great for both myself and the macports
> project.
>
> As raimune already said, my work on this summer will be focused on
> create a post destroot test phase for the port tool. My proposal is
> public, and can be viewed on google melange[1]. I hope through it to
> aggregate quality for macports, to make the package maintainers  life
> easy and, of course, have fun and learn a lot.

Good luck!

IMHO you are closest to the most critically important element of "packaging":

   How can you confirm that what was installed is still verifiably the same?

The are so many conceptions of "package" and "install" and "upgrade"
that its almost impossible to tell what is right or wrong, better pr worse.

But if you cannot explicitly verify that what what was installed is
still installed, well you don't know much about the install at all.

Again, good luck!

73 de Jeff