SVN interdependencies

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Aug 5 18:47:33 PDT 2011

On Aug 5, 2011, at 11:24, vincent habchi wrote:

> I’m back with the dragonegg(svn) port. As I explained before, this port needs to be in perfect sync with llvm-devel (both SVN are constantly kept in phase), so that if you update one, you must update the other.
>
> Now, it’s fairly easy in a way: it suffices to mark dragonegg dependent on llvm-devel, so each time llvm-devel is updated, dragonegg should follow.

Well, just because someone updates llvm-devel, doesn't mean anything will happen with dragonegg. If it is necessary for a maintainer to update both of these ports at the same time, then you should add a comment to both portfiles reminding the maintainer to do that. I have such comments in graphviz/graphviz-gui/gvedit for example.

> But how to do it conversely? To wrap up: how to render two port dependent one upon the other?

You don't, really. There's no way to force a user to upgrade a port anyway. The best you can do I think is keep the ports updated and working in the repository, and encourage users to "sudo port selfupdate && sudo port upgrade outdated" as we always do anyway.