Auto-variants

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Sun Aug 7 19:28:48 PDT 2011

On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 20:03, Bradley Giesbrecht <pixilla at macports.org> wrote:

> Blair: I thought you were meaning; IF +cpio is not specified AND port cpio is an activate port; than add cpio to rpm52 ports DEFAULT variants.

This brings to light the problem of "hidden dependencies" where the
configuration notices that a library is available, compiles against
that, but doesn't record a dependency. The dependent library could
then be removed and lead to runtime problems.

Either all optional libraries should always be disabled and
dependencies marked only as they are enabled, or this auto-variant
behavior could be adapted. I think the GSOC project that would
introduce "rev-upgrade" could be of use here. It could at least mark
decencies after compilation has occurred.

arno  s  hautala    /-|   arno at alum.wpi.edu

pgp b2c9d448